The Center for Economic Progress (CEP) is seeking an outgoing and highly motivated individual to lead our Tax Clinic that has provided free legal counsel and representational services to low-income families for 12 years. CEP’s tax expertise and years of experience enables us to provide services that simplify the complicated federal tax code for our clients and resolve IRS controversies and disputes with the Illinois Department of Revenue related to collections, audits, innocent spouse relief and employee v. independent contractor disputes.
CEP provides free tax preparation, college financial aid assistance, tax-related legal assistance and financial coaching services that assist low-income clients in accessing significant financial resources, improving their credit status and building savings. Annually, CEP staff and 1,200 volunteers provide high-quality tax preparation and tax-related legal and financial services to over 20,000 clients in Chicago and surrounding communities.
The Director will lead CEP staff, interns and volunteers to deliver high quality tax representation for our low income clients. Primary responsibilities include:
- Planning and managing all operations for the Clinic, including intake, tracking, assignment of cases, case review, and client representation
- Recruiting, managing and training pro bono attorneys to handle tax representation cases
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with local and national partners, including the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service and SPEC, other tax clinics, law and accounting firms
- Developing marketing and outreach plans to provide workshops and presentations to community-based organizations, law firms and other entities related to tax law
- Developing curriculum and delivering training programs to VITA site managers and volunteers, as well as the Clinic staff, interns and volunteers
- Supporting CEP fundraising by identifying and pursuing new funding opportunities, contributing to grant applications and reports, and meeting with funders
- Representing the agency before the media to enhance awareness of CEP programs and broaden awareness of tax issues among various constituents
- Supervise a full-time attorney, student interns, and support staff
The deadline to apply is 6/22–find out how to apply at PSLawNet!